POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cars : Re: Cars Server Time
8 Aug 2024 08:11:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cars
From: scott
Date: 24 Oct 2005 04:07:29
Message: <435c9641$1@news.povray.org>
> The thing I'm having trouble with now are things like skining the
> wheels/tires etc, I cant seem to make my cars as nice as the one you
> put up here!

You just have to play about with all the texture #declares.  For example,
with the tyres you probably want to make the diffuse amount lower, like 0.1
or 0.2 to make them appear black rather than light grey.  You also should
add a "finish" statement to the main body texture, so that you can add some
specular and reflection amounts.

I just used trial and error to work out which other textures affected
different parts of the car, and modified them accordingly.  In the POV
source there should be comments before each texture saying what the texture
skin file name is, so that should be a bit of the clue.

You can also make some quite funky skins by just using built-in POV SDL code
for the textures rather than bitmaps, like colour gradients, stripes,
patterns etc.